Donnerstag, 12. Februar 2015

Bobotov Kuk

Never heard of it?
Well that is the highest mountain in Montenegro one more mountain for my project.

You may ask now, how did I get the idea of climbing that mountain.
It is because I have a friend, whose mother originally comes from Montenegro.
And on a rainy, grey and cold Munich winter day she asked me if I wanted to join her to Montenegro in autumn.

And as I love to travel and love to discover new things I did not have to think for long. But I wanted to combine it with my mountain climbing project. So I did some research on 
Montenegro´s highest mountain and encountered the Bobotov Kuk. Actually the highest mountain is a different one, for which one part 
is claimed by Serbia though, so officially the highest mountain 
of Montenegro is the Bobotov, as he is completely in Montenegro. He is situated in the North of the country in the so called Durmitor National Park. By the way, it seems to be a nice ski area in winter.


Montenegro is quite a small country, surrounded by Croatia in the North, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo and Albania in the South and of course the sea. The meaning of the word Montenegro is black mountain, so as you can imagine, there are plenty of mountains with forests.
It is really a great country to travel, because there are no big distances and still it covers everything: mountains with canyons (the deepest of all Europe!), wonderful, lonely mountains, lakes, the sea, fantastic old cities (the Romans were here, too). And the climate is very pleasant as well.

We planned our trip for September. My boyfriend and me met our friend Sabine in Dubrovnik (a wonderful city in Croatia) where we rented a car and so the adventure begun.
After some little hikes and a rafting tour in  Europe´s deepest canyon, finally the day of the climbing of the highest mountain arrived.

And lucky as we were the weather was unbelievable, just great!!


The hike starts on a mountain saddle, where it was extremely windy. But it immediately changed when we arrived in a little valley. We passed through it, passing by ever changing rock formations, and stunning views. 


Finally we arrived at the main mountain and had to climb the last part for around one hour.
The last few meters were real climbing, doable, but you should better not have vertigo, which unfortunately my companions did have. So sadly I had to climb the summit on my own.                        
But it really was worth it: on top of the Bobutov Kuk I had a great view on all the lakes, the other mountains and the landscape, fantastic!! So nice and quite different to the Alps.


And then the descent. We took another way down, which was quite a hike, from depression to depression, as the hiking guide called it :)

At the end of the day we were very hungry. So we went to the best Kabane (that is a simple, Montenegrin restaurant) in the world. The whole table was full of food, Montenegrin beer and schnapps, Slivovitz of course, hmm!!!


That was truly a reward of a long hiking day.











Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen